EDIT: A few more questions added and fixed ^^ The questionnaire is complete now I hope.
So far the first few answers are very helpful to me. I still would like to hear more though! For those who already answered, feel free to answer to the new questions, but you don't have to
As much as I would like some in depth answers, I understand this is a long questionnaire, but I hope you are able to answer all of the questions!
I am writing a major research paper on how Fandom is changing society and the role of deviantart as a social site for fan artists. I need some opinions from people about a few subjects. Also, help spread the word! I need a variety in types of artists and ages so I can get better research!
One more thing too, I am looking for cases where fanart has lead to controversy...have there been any lawsuits because of fanart? OR! Has anyones artwork been stolen by a corporation or company?
(Keep in mind the fanart side to some of these questions)
1. DeviantArt as a social media
2. Fan art: is it ok/not ok? Has anyone gotten in trouble for drawing a copyrighted character? ( I swear I heard something about Disney freaking out about people creating fanart or something...)
3. Are you apart of a fandom(s)? How do you contribute to the fandom?
4. What are some of your experiences on DA? Positive/negative? Has your art been "stolen" or have you been trolled? Have you won contests or bought DA merchandise?
5. What do you search for on da? What type of media and what topics? Mainly fanart or more original works?
6. What kind af art do you accept/reject? Is there anything offensive to you?
7. Are you you a fanartist? If so, what fandom is your fanart mainly from? (For example, most of my older work would be considered Lion King )
8. What makes a fanartist? -- the style? the subject? Does the artist only create "canon" artwork of an existing story, or do they draw in the style of disney, anime, etc....
9. What types of artists do you mainly watch? Would you say the majority are part of your favorite fandom? (For example I mostly watch Feline Animal artists because Lion King is my fan fandom )
10. Would you consider yourself obsessive over any particular fandom?
11. What kind of social events have you attended that is for a specific community or fandom? Like comic-con, anime cons, a furry-con, etc.
12. Do you cosplay? If so do you do it often or not so much?
13. Is there any fandom in particular that has stuck with you for years? Since childhood? Why does it inspire you? ( Mine is Lion King! )
14. Has Fandom/being a fan of something changed your life or views on life? How?
15. Are you conservative in being a fan of certain things? Or are you extremely open with your fandomism and display your love for all to see? ( I used to not tell or show anyone my stuff on dA, that is, people I knew in real life. I used to be pretty conservative about my art)
16. Finally, In your opinion, how has fandom changed society? And how does dA contribute to fandoms?
17. May I use you as a credible source? How may I cite you? (Real name/ initials or screen name)
I think that's it for now. I might need someone to do a poll for me later because I can't post polls since im not a member :/
Thanks in advance to all who participate in this conversation!
And one more quick little update...School is taking up a lot of my time. I can only post art on weekends at the moment. I will have the last Kiriban prize posted this weekend. Thanks for the patience!